The COMOSA Coordinators Committee held their first meeting on June 8, 2017. One of the highlights was the appointment of COMOSA chair and vice chair.
We are pleased to announce that Dr. Rajesh Kumar from India has been appointed as the Chair and Mrs. Edwig Karipi from Namibia has been appointed as the Vice Chair. Rajesh and Edwig are also the chapter chairs for Asia and Africa respectively.
You can read the full minutes of the meeting below.
Notes of first COMOSA Coordinators Committee meeting
Date: June 8, 2017
Duration: 1 hour
Format: Telephone Conference
Attendees and Local times:
|COL Canada (Johan Hendrikz)||4:00am|
|Namibia (Edwig Karipi)||12:00pm|
|Trinidad & Tobago (Lystra Sampson-Ovid)||7:00am|
|India (Dr. Rajesh Kumar)||4:30pm|
|Vanuatu (Glenden Ilaisa)||10:00pm|
|COMOSA Connect United Kingdom (Jason Raymond)||12:00pm|
Agenda & Notes
Johan welcomed all participants to the meeting – Rajesh was connected later on in the meeting.
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the official implementation of the revised Constitution of COMOSA and operational matters related to COMOSA.
2. Brief background and Overview of COMOSA
2.1 Johan provided a broad overview of the history of COMOSA and what led to the revised Constitution. Lystra also provided some historic information.
2.2 The meeting confirm that the adjusted focus of COMOSA is on practitioners in open schooling, learning through sharing and operating as a virtual community.
3. COL’s position regarding COMOSA
Johan confirmed the following position of COL:
3.1 COMOSA is an autonomous organisation with a vision and purpose that is aligned with Open Innovative Schooling (OIS) at COL.
3.2 COL has a vested interest in the well-being of COMOSA and is therefore willing to support COMOSA.
3.3 If COMOSA does not mature over the next few years into a successful and well-functioning organisation COL will need to revisit it’s support.
3.4 COL’s support to COMOSA entails the funding of COMOSA-Connect, providing of secretarial support, and funding of selected COMOSA driven projects.
4. Constitutional matters
4.1 The meeting confirmed that:
- The revised Constitution is a new beginning for COMOSA.
- COMOSA will need to develop and mature over the next few years.
- It is envisaged that the revised Constitution will, in future, be adjusted to reflect the development of the Association.
- The success of COMOSA is largely dependent on the role and function of COMOSA Connect and active participation of practitioners.
- COL’s present OIS projects in core countries support COMOSA’s new approach and structure.
4.2 Role and function of Chapter Chairs
- The role and function is described in the Constitution.
- Chairs are requested to inform Jason about any activity that might be newsworthy – this can be in very brief format.
- Jason will revert back to a Chair if he needs more information.
- Chairs are playing and important role at the start of this new era to activate COMOSA.
4.3 Election of a Chairperson and Vice Chairperson
- The committee elected Rajesh Kumar as the first Chair and Edwig Karipi as the Vice-Chair of the Steering Committee.
- In this capacity they have, as per the Constitution, also become the Chair and Vice Chair of COMOSA.
4.4 Structure and role of COMOSA Connect
- The structure as described in the Constitution is confirmed – the core stakeholders are COL, Chapters (collectively represented by the Chapter chairs) and members who can be institutions and individuals.
- COMOSA-Connect forms the core of the Association and is not just connecting all member on the COMOSA-Connect website but is also the driver of participation and sharing.
4.5 Basecamp by COL
- COMOSA Basecamp has been closed but will if the needs arise be reactivated.
- COMOSA Connect is the only communication platform for members and should also be used by office bearers for communication with their members.
5. COMOSA Connect
5.1 Report by Jason
Jason provided a broad overview of the COMOSA-Connect website and confirmed that the site is still a work in progress.
Chairs are urged to understand the website and provide suggestions for improvements to Jason.
5.2 Role of individuals and Chapters
COMOSA can only continue to exist if sharing (communication) takes place on the website – This communication cannot be driven by Jason alone. He is dependent on the support of chairs but also members.
6. Growing membership
6.1 All chairs should promote the COMOSA- Connect website and request practitioners in their region to join COMOSA.
6.2 Jason is continuously sending invitations out to practitioners throughout the Commonwealth to invite them to join COMOSA.
6.3 Chairs can contact Jason to support the promotion of COMOSA in their region.
7. Secretariat and feedback to members – COL
COL will prepare the notes for the meeting and circulate it for comments before it will be placed on the COMOSA website.
8. Way forward
The main focus for the moment is to:
- grow membership on the website
- provide Jason with news from the regions
- stimulate participation of members on COMOSA-Connect and
- further improve the COMOSA –Connect website
9. Next meeting
As per the Constitution the Coordinators Meeting must be held biannually. The next meeting will be arranged in the second half of 2017.
COL will in due course and in consultation with the Chair and Vice Chair determine the date for the next meeting.