Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Open Schooling Book Forum OS Book Chapter 3: OER and Open Schooling

• OS Book Chapter 3: OER and Open Schooling

• Editor

Administrator
    1st February 2021 at 12:59 am

Please click reply to post your feedback on the material covered in chapter 3 or to leave a question for the author. Click Subscribe to be notified of new activity.

• Tony

1st March 2021 at 7:05 pm

There is a lot of overlap between schooling curricula – we all teach how to add fractions, for example, so there’s no need always to re-invent the wheel. We can often use or adapt something that already exists and is openly licensed. We can then reduce cost of learning resources as a barrier to learning. It seems to make complete sense – so why is it not the mainstream practice?

• Tony

3rd March 2021 at 9:18 pm

There are 470 handbooks, reports and guideline related to OER available on COL’s Open Access Repository at http://oasis.col.org/ and a curated list of useful OER which might be useful during these COVID times to support teachers with remote, blended or online learning at https://www.col.org/resources/keeping-doors-learning-open-covid-19

• Dr Tommie

11th March 2021 at 10:04 am

Very resourceful chapter indeed. There is need to educate colleagues in our work places concerning OER. I met some challenges when developing revision booklets when I advocated for them to be made available for free to the learners in Botswana under the CC. BY SA. I realised was not on the same footing with other colleagues and that can hamper access to teaching/learning materials. The video brought up a very good reaction to OER from resistance to acceptance.

• Tony

12th March 2021 at 6:13 pm

Thank you, Tommie.

Unless an academic is on the cutting edge of time travel in the event horizon of a black hole, they will likely be building or interpreting the work that has gone before. This is especially true for schooling where the curriculum changes very slowly. I think we have been teaching young children how to add and subtract for several hundred years in much the same way for example. So we can revise / remix what already exists for much of the school curriculum. If Ministries create an online space where teachers and learners can access learning and teaching resources related to the school curriculum for free, this can enrich and support face-to-face teaching in day schools, remote teaching during school closures, as well as distance and online teaching for schools that have already moved in this direction, including open schools. And, of course, content that is text- and image-based can still be downloaded (from the internet or an Aptus device) and printed for learners and teachers who lack internet access. Once content is digitised, it can easily be updated and shared. However, potentially thousands of teachers and learners will access and use the content – so we want to be sure that we are using content that is openly licensed. As a teacher, my time is paid for by my employer. If I create a resource for my own learners that works well, why not share it for other teachers and learners to use and adapt?

• Michael

14th March 2021 at 11:28 pm

Chapter 3 is an excellent source on OER! Wealth of material well presented.

• Simon

16th May 2021 at 8:45 am

Great presentation right there Tony. Thank you.

In Eswatini the integration of teaching and learning technologies is very slow even after COVID-19. Most teachers and students have no access to ICTs and therefore are not even aware of OERs and their value in the education system. My institution, Emlalatini Development Centre is slowly integrated teaching and learning technologies and gradually moving away from costly print materials. There’s wifi but it is not yet freely available to the learners but we are working towards that direction. Currently, with the help of COL, SAIDE and Notesmaster, the institution is gradually developing and using OERs. Study centres are soon going to have access to the internet, a laptop and a projector.

• Thomas

17th June 2021 at 10:48 pm

Its was a great presentation , just learnt about creative commons

• Tony

6th July 2021 at 12:27 am

Dear Simon and Thomas

I think we have reached a point in most countries where curriculum-based, interactive digital OER downloaded for use offline on a tablet will be cheaper than supplying physical all rights reserved copyrighted textbooks. It’s worth doing some comparative costings.

Regards,

Tony

• bkabuati

11th July 2021 at 1:14 am

It is still a question of accessing this OER. The more money you have the better your accessibility to OER. My country is one of the those countries finding hard to be in that class. The idea of OER should be a first step to create a FREE ONLINE resource to all. It is trully an expensive project, but surely can be done.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now