Website Distance Education Association of Southern Africa (DEASA)
Managing Editor: DEASA/SADC- CDE International Journal of Open and Distance Learning
The Distance Education Association of Southern Africa (DEASA) requires a suitably qualified and duty conscious person for the position of Managing Editor (ME) for the DEASA/SADC-CDE International Journal of Open and Distance Learning.
Main Purpose of the Job
The Managing Editor’s job entails being responsible for the production and publishing of the DEASA – SADC-CDE Journal by working collaboratively with the Research and Analysis Committee, Authors and the DEASA Executive Committee to ensure a high quality international journal of Open and Distance Learning. The ME is tasked with the planning, providing support and managing all the day-to-day operations of the Distance Education Association of Southern Africa (DEASA) and the Southern African Development Community-Centre for Distance Education (SADC-CDE)’s International Journal of Open and Distance Learning academic journal. The ME oversees all the peer reviewers and ensures that each issue is released on time. He/she is responsible for drafting the introductory pages of the Journal.
Key Performance Areas
The responsibility areas of the successful candidate will include the following:
- The Managing Editor creates the editorial board, or outline, for each of the publications’
editions or issues.
- The Managing Editor, in liaison with the Research and Analysis Committee and in collaboration with SADC-CDE officials, is responsible for overseeing the appointment of peer reviewers who are expected to be volunteer academic researchers.
- The Managing Editor reviews all articles and photographs for accuracy, as well as potential libel or slander, and provides suggestions, if needed, about any changes to make before the publication goes to press or is released digitally.
- The Managing Editor approves the journal layout.
- The Managing Editor meets regularly with the publisher or publication board to discuss issues, plans and other business relating to the publication.
- The Managing Editor has the responsibility of drawing up budget proposals and any other information requested by the publisher.
- The Managing Editor generates ideas for new ways of doing things such as using new technology, implementing ways to increase readership and how to utilize new media.
- The Managing Editor produces the DEASA Newsletter.
- The Managing Editor has the final word in the selection of which articles get published.
- The Managing Editor runs a preconference research and publication workshop annually or as aligned to the DEASA conference
Required Qualifications & Experience
1. A PhD in Open and Distance Learning or related field.
2. The Managing Editor should have a minimum of 10 peer reviewed journal articles
3. Ten years as a managing editor of a journal in an open and distance learning institution or higher
The following competencies are critical to the success of the publication:
- In-depth knowledge of academic publishing
- Strategic leadership and management expertise
- Excellent project management skills
- Adherence to high standards of ethics and professionalism
- Innovation Management
- Team leadership
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- High level computing skills
DEASA offers attractive remuneration commensurate with qualifications and experience. Interested persons who meet the above requirements should submit their applications, together with their recent CVs, certified copies of relevant certificates and two references to:
DEASA Executive Director
SADC-CDE; Botswana Open University
Closing date: Friday 28th January 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.