The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) On-Demand Exam System (ODES) is a unique feature of NIOS.
NIOS came up with this innovative concept of ICT based On-Demand Examination System (ODES), where assessment takes place when the individual learners consider themselves to be ready to take it.
Flexible Examination System has been one of the key features of NIOS. ODES adds another dimension of openness in the Open Schooling System where the examination is self-paced and degree of performance is learner controlled.
The On Demand Examination System (ODES) is a Learner-centric Examination System. The advantages include:
- It allows the learners to take the examination when he/she is ready.
- Readiness depends on the learner and not on the institution.
- It reduces the threat of failure in examination.
- Under ODES, the degree and level of performance is decided by the learner.
- ODES is also helpful in containing malpractices in examinations, as it is a system where the tools for evaluation are unique for the individual student.
- ODES respects the individuality and sovereignty of the learner.
Development of Question Bank
- For ODES to be operational, a large Question Bank in each subject has been developed based on the question paper design and the blueprint.
- The blueprint contains many cells and as per the question paper design, the desired cells are activated.
- A number of items having comparable difficulty level are developed for each activated cells of the blueprint.
- The Question bank contains various types of questions such as multiple choice questions, short questions, very short questions and long questions.
- These questions are from all objective areas covering Knowledge, Understanding, Application, and skill.
Blue Print Of Question Paper
- As this system is very flexible in terms of the examination date, one can prepare for the examination according to one’s availability of time.
- They get enough time for preparation and they can improve as many times as they want.
- There is no fixed time for registration. The students can register on any day for writing the examination.
- We can plan to appear in the examination as per our preparation and get the chance to re-appear immediately in the very next month.
- Many learners could save their one precious year for completing Secondary and Sr. Secondary course through ODES.
Read an article by Mr. S. K. Prasad
Read more about ODES at
Read more about NIOS at